Webinar - Latest in cutting edge research in Omega-3s
Omega-3s are one of the oldest dietary in the dietary supplement industry. Even with the hundreds of years of history that these ingredients enjoy, new facets of their benefits in the body continue to be discovered.These include new indications for cognitive health, healthy aging, cardiovascular health and lately even credible tie-in with immune system report.
This FREE NutraIngredients-USA webinar will delve into this exciting area with three of the world’s foremost experts in omega-3s science and product development. Our panel will consist of Dr Jeffrey Bland, ND, head of the Personalized Lifestyle Medicine Institute, Dr Philip Calder, PhD, of the University of Southampton in the UK, and Dr William S. Harris, PhD, of the omega-3s testing firm OmegaQuant as well as the University of South Dakota.
Jeffrey BLAND, PhD, FACN, FACB, CNS
- Founder and President Personalized Lifestyle Medicine Institute and Big Bold Health
- Dr. Jeffrey Bland is a thought leader who has spent more than four decades focused on the improvement of human health. He is known worldwide as the founder of the Functional Medicine movement. His pioneering work has created the Personalized Lifestyle Medicine Institute (PLMI), as well as the Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM). Dr. Bland began his career as a Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Puget Sound. He is a natural educator and became involved with numerous academic institutions during the years he spent teaching. In the early 1980s, he was hand-selected by two-time Nobel Laureate Dr. Linus Pauling to serve as Director of Nutritional Research at the Linus Pauling Institute of Science and Medicine. Dr. Bland is the author of best-selling books and over 120 peer-reviewed research publications. His latest project is Big Bold Health, launched in 2018. He’s on a mission to transform the way people think about one of nature’s greatest innovations: the immune system.
Philip C. CALDER, PhD
William S. HARRIS, PhD, FAHA
- Professor of Nutritional Immunology, Head Human Development & Health,
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton
- Philip Calder is Professor of Nutritional Immunology at the University of Southampton. He is an internationally recognised researcher in human nutrition especially in the area of fatty acids; his research addresses both life course and translational considerations. He has received a number of awards for his work including the prestigious Danone International Prize for Nutrition (2016) and the DSM Lifetime Achievement Award in Human Nutrition (2017). He has served on many committees of professional societies, was President of the Nutrition Society (2016-2019) and is currently President of the Federation of European Nutrition Societies (2019-2023). He has served as President of the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL; 2009-2012), Chair of the Scientific Committee of the European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN; 2012-2016) and Editor-in-Chief of the British Journal of Nutrition (2005-2013). He is a Fellow of the Association for Nutrition (2012). He has over 700 scientific publications and has been listed in every edition of Highly Cited Researchers.
- President and CEO
- OmegaQuant and the University of South Dakota
- Dr. William Harris holds a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry from the University of Minnesota. Since 1980, his research has focused on omega-3 fatty acids and human lipid metabolism, platelet function, cardiovascular and neurocognitive disease. He has been on the medical faculties of Kansas University, the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and is currently at the University of South Dakota. He has been the principal investigator on 5 omega-3 related NIH grants and has published over 200 papers on omega-3. In 2004 he and his colleague Dr. Clemens von Schacky proposed that the “Omega-3 Index” (RBC EPA+DHA) be considered as a new risk factor, for not only cardiovascular but also neurocognitive diseases. In 2009, he founded OmegaQuant Analytics, LLC to offer the test to researchers, healthcare providers and consumers. Dr. Harris is the President of OmegaQuant, and he is a Professor in the Department of Medicine at the Sanford School of Medicine, University of South Dakota.